Thursday, August 24, 2006

Day 8

When we think about prosperity, we are normally thinking about receiving. Recognize that receiving is only half of the equation, that giving and receiving are two dimensions of the same law.

As Deepak Chopra writes in, The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success ,

"If you want joy, give joy to others; if you want love, learn to give love; if you want attention and appreciation, learn to give attention and appreciation; if you want material affluence, help others to become materially affluent." All the world's great religions say virtually the same thing on this subject:

as we give, so too do we receive.

Today allow yourself to give as a spiritual practice. Give something without expecting anything in return. Even better, give anonymously. You can give money, or you can give something else. Just give for the sake of giving. Pay attention to how you feel around the experience. Our thoughts and feelings are more important than the act.

Years ago, I noticed a “Wish Book” on the counter of my favourite little store in Hilo. I opened it and saw that a friend of mine wanted a pair of silver feather earrings. I bought them for her, and had the store mail them. It felt so good to just give. However, the next Sunday when she came to church wearing the earrings, I had to fight with myself to keep quiet. As she told me the story of receiving them in the mail, I wanted to say “I did it – I did it.” It made me wonder how much I give to get.

The Universe gives without expectations. Can you?

Thank God we’re rich!!

Abundant Blessings, Rev. Angelica


No comments: